Marshall's music, t-cells, t-shirts and more

Monday, January 30, 2012

There is No Fear in Love

Tuesday was a big day. We received the results from last Monday's bone marrow biopsy and the chemotherapy appears to be working! When I first checked into the hospital 97% of my bone marrow had been taken over by lymphoblasts (cancerous cells). By Monday most of my bone marrow had been destroyed (this is by design) and the lymphoblasts in the remaining marrow had decreased to only 25%. This is good news, but the fight is far from over. The doctors have to keep reminding me that I am on the first mile of my marathon.

Tuesday night was more than entertaining. My good friend Teri had the talented Loraine Horstmanshoff visit for what can only be described as a musical healing session. Here are a few highlights:

Blues Jam 

Some Funky Flute

Aint it Good to Be Alive 

Didgeridoo to the Dome

Thank you Teri and Loraine for a very memorable night. I'm sure the didgeridoo helped blast some lymphoblasts!

For some reason I felt it would be appropriate to start reading the book of Job. I guess I thought that if anybody overcame difficult trials he did. In the first chapter alone, Job's oxen are stolen, his sheep are burned, his camels are stolen, his servants are slaughtered, and tragically his ten children are killed. I was quite inspired by the way that Job handles this devestating news. The chapter concludes as follows:

Job 1:20-21

Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshiped and said, "Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord."

I love it! Job has a horrible trial and what does he do? He shaves his head and has a positive attitude. Well you can guess who my new hero is :)

In chapter 2 Job's friends come to comfort him during his tribulation

A few days ago AJ turned to me and asked, "Are you afraid of anything?" The question suspended in air between her little bench and my hospital bed. I took a moment to think about it (a rare excersize for me) - usually my mouth just starts yapping before I even know how I'm going to respond - but I want everyone who reads this to know that I really thought deeply about this and I really meant it when I replied, "Honey, fear and love can't exist in the same sphere; and I have had so much love in this room that I couldn't be afraid if I wanted to."

I want to thank everyone who has visited, called, texted, posted, emailed, cut your hair, shaved your head, fasted, prayed, served, cleaned, and showed compassion towards me and my family in any way over the last several weeks.

During this time I have felt surprised, tired, confused, sick, in pain, and even anxious - but never afraid. I'm not sure if I can explain it entirely, but I am certain that we will make it through this adversity.

1 John 4:18 "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear."

4 comments:

  1. Words cannot describe what a comfort you are to all of us. We all love you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A.J., Marshall, and Kez, you are running MORE than a marathon. YOU'RE rockin' the Ironman and any other ultra-marathon/Ironman that's out there.

    Love you all,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for this post Marshall, that's going down in my good quotes section about fear and love.

    ReplyDelete