Marshall's music, t-cells, t-shirts and more

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Chemo Emo

It hurts just lookin at it :(
One cool thing about being isolated on East 8 is that I have more time with my guitar. Some of the nurses and neighbors seem to like it too (no complaints yet). I even had one nurse comment on how she couldn't believe that I could just sit there and jam and carry on a conversation at the same time. She said she has played piano for over 20 years, but has never been able do that. For me it's very therapeutic.

There was a tragedy on Sunday night though.  The bridge on my beloved Ovation ripped from the body of the guitar! I didn't notice till morning and was utterly devastated. I am next to certain it is due to the arid lack of humidity in these hospital rooms. 

I hooked her up to Willie and tried to resuscitate her back to health, but I think my cancer diagnosis was just too much; she needed a break from all the drama.

Fact: Sodium Chloride doesn't fix a broken bridge.

Don't 'fret' however, my good friend Carson was kind enough to bring me another guitar from home and I am not without.  Plus Carlos (that's the name of my other guitar) is pretty happy to be getting some attention because my LX has bogartted the stage for years now. 

To prevent a future casualty I am down tuning the strings at night and my mother is bringing in a guitar humidifier. So there is no cause for lamentation or discord, - my music lives on in East 8!

In fact, I'm thinking of starting a new genre, "Chemo Emo". Instead of dying your hair black, and wearing skinny jeans, you shave your head and wear sweat pants. Instead of shouting shrill obscenities about the girl that made your blood boil, you hum peaceful melodies about the treatment that is making your blood normal.  And finally, you don't try to imitate The Cure, you find the cure and you embrace it! 

5 comments:

  1. We are following your posts. You are the lyric genious! Glad you have another guitar.
    We (our family) pray for you and your family everyday.

    Love you!
    Grobergs in Orem

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes to you and your family Marshall. You're in our thoughts, hearts and prayers. Fight On!

    Love,
    Scott and Lorraine
    The Thomas'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes to you and your family Marshall. You're in our thoughts, hearts and prayers. Fight On!

    Love,
    Scott and Lorraine
    The Thomas'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marshall I feel for you in the hospital - I spent two and 1/2 months in LA County as a
    Three year old. And off an on I have had to be in the ICU or CATHY Lab - my last stay was for 19 days. I feel for you - truly feel for you. I think you are amazing - you seem so positive and up beat. I am sure some of that attitude is your own but I am also sure it helps to have so many prayers being offered on your behave each day. Those prayers are amazing meds for the body and soul. Marshall I love you and
    I prayer for you constantly and my family prayers for you. I am happy you are in the
    Lords hands and that your faith is so strong. I hope to see you soon. Love Uncle Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marshall I think your homeowners policy should cover your beloved LX. Depending on your deductible you might be in luck. I am so glade you are keeping everyone intertwined on East 8. We should Skype. I love you and we are praying for you. Keep in touch. Uncle Bob

    ReplyDelete