Marshall's music, t-cells, t-shirts and more

Friday, January 6, 2012

I've got it 'ALL'

I thought it would be a good idea to let everyone know what's going on with me and my adorable family.

On Tuesday I went to the doctor to try to figure out why I've looked so pale and why I've been having headaches. Dr. Monroy said he hadn't seen me before but I did look exceptionally pale. Everything else looked pretty good so he sent me to the lab for blood tests and I went to work.

About 4:30 I got a call from the Dr. He said my blood counts were severely low. He said a normal hematocrit level is from 40% to 50%. I clocked in at an awesome 15%. Needless to say, the doctor asked me to check in at the nearest emergency room. I let him know that was LDS hospital and he said that he would call ahead to let them know I was on my way. (That wasn't scary or anything)

Here is a picture of the awesome gown I got to wear in the ER.


One of the first tests they made me do was a CAT scan. I told them there must be some mistake because I had clearly noted on my medical paper work that I was allergic to cats. Kezman had fun playing with the metal railing on my hospital bed.

Most everything looked good the first day, but they committed me to a room upstairs for future testing. I couldn't watch the Jazz game on their sports channel at the hospital, so I was forced to watch live coverage of Mitt Romney and Rick Santorem at the Iowa caucuses all night, yay...

Wednesday morning I had the privilege of taking part in a bone marrow biopsy, sooo fun! They drilled into my hip bone and extracted the marrow. They couldn't get enough out of the left hip so they drilled into my right hip too. Then I put my right foot in and spun myself around.

Later that afternoon they broke the news... I've got it A.L.L. (Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia) - in other words I have cancer - Leukemia.

We've been waiting all Wednesday and Thursday to figure out the specific type of ALL I have. We found out today that it is not Philadelphia chromosome (that's good news because it means I won't have to have a bone marrow transplant right away)

My cancer cells are hyper diploid chromosome 9 - I think that means that they're hyper reacting like a 9 year old.

I'm working with a team of doctors and the outlook is bright. Now that we know the specific type of cancer I've begun the chemotherapy. I will keep all y'all posted. Thanks for all your love and prayers.

Marshall

6 comments:

  1. Hey Marshall, Thanks for the update. I'm glad that you're able to keep your sense of humor. We are thinking about you guys and keeping you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, man. I'm sorry. I'll definitely keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong and if you need absolutely anything for any reason, just call.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all love you and are all (especially the kids)rooting for you!!! You are such an amazing person! You have been the best home teacher and an amazing example to our kids!!! You have strengthened our testimonies each time you have shared yours! May the peace and love of our Father in Heaven surround you and yr sweet family during this most difficult time!
    Hugs, The Keddington's

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marshall you are the they most positive person I know! You will kick the crap out of this cancer! Take care of your self a don't be afraid to ask for help from your friends and family. it would be a pleasure to support you and your family during this fight.
    Monkey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marshall and AJ, thinking of your little family. Will keep you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love you Marshall. I'm praying for you and your wonderful family. If there's anything I can do for you at this time, let me know/

    ReplyDelete