Marshall's music, t-cells, t-shirts and more

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Double Your Fun...

The headache started Tuesday night and greeted me promptly in the morning. After they prescribed some maximum strength headache meds my oncology team and I tried to figure out why these hives are lingering. Following a great deal of speculation they scheduled me to meet with the dermatologist. He put my mind at ease when he explained that it is not uncommon for hives to persist for several weeks. The downside to that however is that they don't want to give me my CART-19 cells while I have hives. Long story short - more delays.

They drew a lot of labs on Wednesday!
To complicate matters I began to have bouts of double vision that afternoon. They increased in duration throughout the week and by Friday I felt like I was living in a double mint gum commercial. We met with an Ophthalmologists at the Eye Emergency Department on Saturday. After extensive examinations, hours in waiting rooms, and an MRI, surprise surprise... they had no idea what was causing my ailment. Apparently causes of double vision are almost as difficult to decipher as causes of hives!


Things grew even more exciting at about 3:00 AM when I woke up with a headache like I'd been smacked in the back of the head with a two by four. Then I looked in the mirror I realized that I couldn't move the right side of my face. The fun part was that I got my first ride in an ambulance, although I must say it's probably more exciting in the drivers seat where you can see all the traffic move aside as you cruise through red lights.

There's a first for everything...

Well that's pretty much the update. I have more testing scheduled for tomorrow, Currently we're just hanging out on the 6th floor at the University of Pennsylvania hospital. I'm squinting at my laptop with one eye closed (otherwise it appears like I have two laptops). Which reminds me of a couple good things about double vision: one, you have twice as many friends come visit you in the hospital, and two, when you open up your wallet you have double the cash!

Valley Forge Fun
 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are blogging this, Marshall. One day when this is all passed, you could turn this into a book! We cheer as well as pra for you daily. Moved from your Mom's ward, but ever diligent about the prayer and sometimes fasting we still need to do

    ReplyDelete