Marshall's music, t-cells, t-shirts and more

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

My Golden Birthday

According to urbandictionary.com one's 'Golden Birthday' is, "the birthday when you turn the same age as your birth date. My wife tells a fantastic story of how on her 23rd birthday (her golden birthday) she visited a church in Brazil that was completely made of gold. Well, it just so happens that my golden birthday is coming up - I turn 30 on August 30th. While many individuals dread their 30th revolution around the sun, I will be more than thrilled if I can live to the ripe young age of thirty! Allow me to explain...



We met with Dr. Porter on Tuesday morning. The bone marrow biopsy from last week revealed the 5 weeks of chemo I endured before leaving Utah brought my cancer to a mere 6%! My blood counts are great, my weight is up, and my lungs sound good - no more bronchitis. I'm still tapering off of prednisone due to my bought of hives/emergency room visit last week. Dr. Porter recommended we wait for one week to ensure they don't return after I'm off steroids. This means I am scheduled to start chemo the second week of August, and I will receive my t-cell treatment the following week.


This puts me right amidst a cytokine storm as I approach my 30th birthday. What's a cytokine storm? Wikipedia explains it this way, "A cytokine storm, also known as hypercytokinemia, is a potentially fatal immune reaction consisting of a positive feedback loop between cytokines and immune cells." This immune reaction is not necessarily a bad thing, it basically means that my new "mighty mutant ninja t-cells" are going "incredible hulk" on the "criminal leukemia" in my body. If they are victorious in this epic battle of cellular superheros - I get to celebrate my golden birthday!


1 comment:

  1. Prayers still going up and fingers and toes crossed as you get ready to begin your SuperHero Epic Battle. The Idaho Campbells ( the one's using Conrads pancreas and 1 kidney) love you and your entire family.

    ReplyDelete