Marshall's music, t-cells, t-shirts and more

Monday, April 1, 2013

It Takes a Team

The last week has been somewhat uneventful (which is a good thing). My chemotherapy treatments depleted one of my blood clotting agents, so yesterday I received an infusion of Antithrombin III.  It sounds like the third episode of a bad sci-fi series, but according to Wikipedia it is a protein produced by the liver composed of 432 amino acids that assists in blood coagulation - not complicated at all - as you can see by this illustration.



Who knew that your blood clotted using tiny yellow sticks of dynamite stuck together with different colors of old chewing gum?! 

My big bone marrow biopsy is scheduled for tomorrow. We will find out whether the chemo was successful in eliminating my cancer or not. Although the biopsy is Tuesday, we won't get the results until Wednesday, and yes I will be sure to let everyone know as soon as I do. 



One benefit of being hospitalized in March is that you have plenty of time to watch college basketball. The tournament had a tragic moment on Sunday when Louisville guard, Kevin Ware broke his leg against Duke. I was surprised to see many of his teammates and even his coach in tears. It was clear, they didn't want to see their friend in so much pain. Despite the set back they went on to victory, holding up their fallen teammates jersey and dedicating their victory to him. 



Thank you to everyone on my team, for your prayers and your visits. You continue to lift me up as I work through this. It is clear you don't like to see your friend in so much pain, and I am confident that we can win the victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment