Marshall's music, t-cells, t-shirts and more

Monday, November 28, 2016

Nick Colleluori

I may have to start a blog binge for the end of this month. Today is November 28th and a day I will never forget as Nick from our beloved Nick's House passed away on this day now ten years ago. I'll never forget the date because Marshall wrote a song called Ten Days for me once when we had to be quarantined from each other for that long. Now it's also the number of days between dates of Marshall and Nick's passing. You can hear the song he wrote in isolation by clicking here.

The amazing HEADStrong family and Nick's legacy is one that I will never, ever forget. Nick was inspiring and a warrior until the very end much like Marshall. I never got to meet him, but his family would often tell us Marshall reminded them of Nick. I really, really hope they are inspiring and helping even more people where they are. I'm sure neither of them would have it any other way.  There was an even greater bond formed when Michael's little girl was born within hours of Marshall's passing. Nick's number was 27 and as I have somehow lasted through the hardest month since Marshall's passing, this number seems to be following me around. In fact, Marshall received a medal of the highest soldier one can be in lacrosse that was covered in 27s. I still have that medal and sometimes wear it when I feel like I just don't want to go on another minute. Here's Marshall wearing it in 2014 when we walked around the halls for the Cure Search walk.


I found the letter he wrote to Nick that year and it still inspires me as well. Just as his life still inspires me:

Dear Nick,

I've heard it said that "life isn't fair" but I disagree. Life is beautiful, painful, joyful and sorrowful but life is a blessing. Death, it's death that's not fair. It's not fair that cancer took you from us. It's not fair that someone so young and active can be afflicted with this disease. You were at the prime of life, a student planning a future with your sweetheart, a division one college athlete, a teammate, a friend, a brother, a son.

I wish I never knew you because that would mean that you may still be here. I wish that I didn't know your story because maybe that would mean that I wouldn't have mine. I wish that cancer considered the circumstances of those it afflicts before it overtook them.

I don't know if I would have been cool enough to hang with you and Michael but I think we would have got along. Growing up several of my close friends played lacrosse and I always enjoyed going to their games. I played basketball in high school and I was a good defender, a "scrapper" - I had to be at my size. My coach used to put me in the game just to shut some player down on the other team. You might even say I was "relentless".

I want to thank you for letting my family stay at your house. I feel privileged to stay here and get to know your family. As you know they are doing an amazing job with HEADstrong. I don't know if you realized how many lives you would change, but your drive and vision have effected countless individuals and their families. The ripples of your influence continue to extend.

I wouldn't be surprised if you're teaching and inspiring others in the world of spirits. I've had the impression that you are allowed to check in on my family from time to time. It's good to know we have a special guardian angel with a lacrosse stick :)

With love,

                   Marshall 

As he put it so well, death isn't fair. It's not fair that I didn't get to celebrate seven years with you fifteen days ago. It's not fair that your son wakes up crying saying that he misses you some mornings and definitely not fair that he will not get to know his amazing dad. It's not fair that such a bright light was taken from the world too young Marshall. Yet, because I knew you so well I have been changed for good. We miss your music, your smile, your countenance. We miss you so much. 


No comments:

Post a Comment