Marshall's music, t-cells, t-shirts and more

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Happy Transplant Birthday to Me

One Year ago today I underwent my first bone marrow transplant. The procedure was nearly the same as a blood transfusion - they just hooked me up to a bag and drip by drip I received those magical stem cells. If I remember correctly, they gave me a hefty dose of Benadryl and I was pretty well out of it for the rest the afternoon.

Transplant Day 2012

This year my transplant is scheduled for July 5th. Luckily the preparatory regiman (chemo and radiation) is not as intense so hopefully I won't be as sick post transplant. This being the case, I won't have to stay in the hospital unless I spike a fever or have some other unforeseen issue.

I have begun my second cycle of Bite here at MD Anderson. No fevers this time, not yet anyway. My research nurse told me not to expect them because being in remission there are not any lymphoblasts (cancer) for the medicine to help destroy. As long as my condition remains stable I am scheduled for discharge tomorrow afternoon. Then it's back to life with the eternal fanny-pack.

Right now Amanda and Kezman are staying at the hotel across the street. I can see their building from my room - it's the third one on the left in the background (the short one). That gigantic arm on the adjacent building is just my reflection off the window in my room. How cool would it be if everyone outside could see it!


I had a neat experience sharing some of my music yesterday. The patient in the room next to me complained about my incessant guitar playing. Apparently she had a chemo headache and I totally understand - no hard feelings here. Running out of options I suited up and headed for the lobby on 24th floor. There I was able to play in solitude, that is until my new friend Lori showed up with a couple of her friends. They came dancing around the corner and we jammed out for a while and swapped cancer stories.

Strangely the elevator to the 24th floor goes straight from 24 to 22. I asked one hospital worker and they weren't sure what they do on the 23rd floor. I have my own hypothesis though... 
Alien experiments - how else are they finding all these creative new immuno-therapies? I mean come on, "Blinatumomab" - that doesn't sound very human to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment