Marshall's music, t-cells, t-shirts and more

Friday, January 25, 2013

So Fresh and So Clean Clean


On Wednesday we found out that Kezman and AJ have Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV). Even though she has felt miserable, Amanda has done a great job taking care of Kezman while I try to avoid the germs. I haven't felt sick but they tested me at my clinical appointment and sure enough I have it too.




What is RSV? For adults with normal immune systems not much more than a cold. For young infants it can be more serious, and for bone marrow transplant patients it can be fatal. That's why the hospital said they wanted me to come in right away when they called with my results.

My treatment lasts for 5 days. I inhale the drug Ribavirin in 2 hour intervals at 6:00 AM, 2:00PM, and 10:00 PM. Before I inhale the Ribavirin I get to "puff the peace pipe" it's an apparatus called a nebulizer that I use to take Albuterol. This drug opens up my bronchioles so I don't have any coughing spasms from the Ribavirin.

The Peace Pipe
Ribavirin works at an intercellular level. It disturbes the DNA of the virus and prevents it from multiplying. They aren't entirely sure how it works, they just know that it does. It has some dangerous side effects (kind of like chemo) so the nurses have to dress up like there has been a hazardous chemical spill when they administer it. 

All Hooked Up
It also clings to my skin and clothes so I have to go into a separate isolation room for the treatment. After 2 hours of breathing the funky stuff I have to take a shower and change into fresh clothes. Then I can go back to my room.

This bad boy vaporizes the Ribavirin.
That's three showers a day! The good news is that if all goes well I will be home by Wednesday. And I will be super clean! Always a new adventure on East 8 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment