Marshall's music, t-cells, t-shirts and more

Friday, May 4, 2012

It's Another boy!!!

Well not really... it's just my heart. We had an appointment with a cardiologist this morning and she took an ultra sound to measure its volume and pumping capacity. Did you know that your heart beats approximately 100,000 times in one day? That's 35 million times a year! 


The ultra sound machine also displays red or blue to indicate which direction your blood is flowing. This helps determine whether or not the heart's valves are functioning properly - I'm happy to report that mine are. However, the technician did tell me I was "lungy" because my lungs kept getting in the way, so I started holding my breath. It definitely helped keep my lungs off the screen but I kept wondering if the lack of oxygen would hinder my heart's performance. 

After our fun little escapade on the 7th floor we popped down to the 6th for a respiratory exam. It turns out that I'm great at "inspiring". It's not what you think though, that just means that I can take in a lot of air. I'm also pretty good at "expiring" - but don't worry, that just means "to breath out".


For this exam I got to sit in what can only be described as a glorified phone booth. It doesn't look like much but this transparent confessional goes for $40,000 bucks! I don't know about you, but unless it can travel through time and take me on an excellent adventure, I think I'll go with the Corvette.


After some puff puff give with my new friend Ron we headed up to East 8 for a blood draw. My nuetrophils are coming back - Yes! I'm at 1.0 now (normal and healthy is about 1.8) - so we're getting there. They also wanted to get another mucus sample to see if I still have the flu. In the past they've inserted a suction tube up my nose to get a sample. But today I had to try not to laugh when this guy came in with a sample cup and asked, "You ever do a Farmer Joe Blow?" I almost rebutted, "I believe the politically correct term is Snot Rocket." Instead I kind of chuckled, plugged one nostril and gave it my best shot. I handed him the cup and asked, "Will that work?" Excitedly he responded, "Oh ya, that's perfect!" Wow, I haven't seen anybody that enthusiastic about mucus since Egon scraped some samples from the NY public library (Ghost Busters). 

It was quite a marathon day and we decided to top things off with a spinal tap - yay! It went pretty well (no tickle fits) but my back is a little more sore than usual. After 7 hours at the hospital AJ and I couldn't wait to get home and see our boy - thank you to Kelly and the Weilers for watching him today. He is really starting to get confident on his feet (not to mention chubby in the cheeks). Check him out in his new Thomas the Train Engine PJ's :)



No comments:

Post a Comment