Marshall's music, t-cells, t-shirts and more

Friday, February 10, 2012

BYOB / Bring Your Own Bone-Marrow

First, the good news: my bone marrow biopsy revealed that only 1% of my remaining bone marrow consists of lymphoblasts (cancer). This means that my cancer is in remission! I've already started the next phase of chemotherapy in an attempt to wipe out the remaining "blasts". On Thursday I had a 24 hour dose of Chemo-Dew (the green stuff). It doesn't give you the caffeine boost (quite the contrary) but does increase your visits to bathroom.


Second, we finally heard back on my cytogenetics test. This is a test that evaluates how the cancer corresponds to my chromosomes. I need to be clear here, this does not have to do with my "family tree" type of genetics (I didn't get my cancer from my parents, nor can I give it to Kezman). This test looks at the mutations in my chromosomes that triggered the cancer. Initially we believed that my cancer was due to extra copies / mutated versions of my 9th chromosome (hyperdiploidy). 

However, the experts at ARUP did extensive analysis - my bone marrow wasn't being very cooperative - and found that my cancer is more complicated than we initially anticipated. My 9th chromosome was not the only one undergoing mutations. It turns out I have a rare variation of ALL called MLL (Mixed Lineage Leukemia). We found that my 11th chromosome, and possibly others are also mutating in a process called chromosomal translocation. This abnormality shows up in less than 10% of people diagnosed with ALL and is most common in infants (less than one year old). What can I say? I like to be exceptional!



In short, I'm a mutant - and yes in a twisted way this has always been a secret dream of mine. It started when I used to play Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with with my brother Conrad and Michael Pendleton (he lived down the street). Even though I liked Raphael more (he's cool but rude) - I was always stuck being Michelangelo (he's a party dude) because I was younger, and smaller, and pretty much had to do what I was told. It was okay though because Michelangelo had nun-chucks which are way more entertaining than the little daggers that Raphael had to fight with.



For clarification mixed "Lineage" doesn't mean that my parents are cousins or anything like that. The lineage referenced is in regard to this type of cancer. As you may have already surmised, MLL has a less favorable prognosis than my initial diagnosis - in layman's terms, it's a worse kind of cancer. The reality however, is that it is so rare - especially for a 27 year old - that any data we look at is not statistically significant. For this reason my wife has begun to call me a "scientific pioneer". I figure that's better than a couch potato :)

I'm just waiting for my "mutations" to give me some kind of super power. I've already got some numbness in my fingertips (the docs say it's a combo of chemo and guitar) so I was hoping for some wolverine claws or something like that.

Finally, with the MLL diagnosis there is a good chance that I will need a bone marrow transplant to overcome this cancer. Although a transplant may decrease the likelihood of the cancer coming back, it also presents a whole set of other possible complications.

My wife and I are still reviewing our options with the doctors. As always we appreciate all the love and support.

6 comments:

  1. We're praying for you Michelangelo. Message me on facebook if you want any photography or fundraising skills... I'm a mutant in those areas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an Adult Mutant Ninja cancer patient... awesome! And I love statistically irrelevant data. It was my favorite kind in college.

    Good luck. We'll be praying for you and your cute family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update. We all want to be Ninja Turtles. :)

    We, too, are praying for you to beat those insignificant statistics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Marshall! We are cheering for you and Becca and I want to stop by a little basket of fun so hopefully we'll see you soon. Your family is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know we haven't met, but I work with Tyrel, and let me tell you - your blog is amazing. It makes me cry and laugh at the same time. I totally want to meet you, but I think I'm pretty covered in germs and wouldn't want to make things worse for you! So when all is said and done, and you are well - you will have to stop by Tyrel's work so I can meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete