Marshall's music, t-cells, t-shirts and more

Saturday, February 4, 2012

There's No Place Like Home

I've never had ruby slippers or a dog, but now I have two dogs and a couple of adorable nieces living with me (I'm pretty sure they have some ruby slippers) - and all I can say is, "There's no place like home".


As you may have read my in my last post - my neutrophil count reached 0.5 on Wednesday and they were able to release me from the hospital! I was getting so used to it there that it was kind of hard for me to believe I was really getting out. 

I'm pushing a cart of stuff out to the parking lot and AJ stops me to take a picture.  As I'm posing for my "photo op" a family is approaching the hospital and I realize - nobody can see my silly grin under this face-mask! I turn to the unsuspecting patriarch of the group and jovially holler, "Why am I smiling under this thing? It's not like it's going to show up in the picture!" Obviously preoccupied with whatever brought him to the hospital in the first place he chose to ignore my outburst and I received even stranger looks from the children. My mother and wife had a pretty good laugh about it though.

 
It's a good thing that I had been mentally preparing for this in my hospital room. Seriously, when I found out that I would have to wear a mask in public I started envisioning scenarios of being out and about and how people would react. I'm okay with it. And now that I've had a chance to try it out it's actually pretty comical :)

The hardest part of this whole thing is that Kezman is still sick and I have to keep my distance from him (the slightest cold or fever can send me to the ER). Kez is such a happy-go-lucky little guy that he's taking it pretty well. But every once in a while he'll pull himself up by where I'm sitting and give me this look like, "Dad, why won't you pick me up and hug me?" I'm only able to bear it because I can still watch him with his lovely Mother (doesn't she look pretty with her new haircut!)


I have to be honest though... when I first arrived home I wasn't sure I was in the right place. The joint was spotless! The bathroom was painted! My room was painted! I felt like I was on one of those home makeover TV shows! I would like to thank everyone that has reached out to my family over this last month (I feel bad that I don't even know who all of you are). Please know that your kindness has meant so much, it has lightened our burden, and helped us to focus on the adjustment. 

Specifically, I would like to thank my amazing brother Jordan and his family. Within two weeks of hearing about my cancer they moved down from WA state to help us take care of Kezman and offer support during my treatment. My sister-in-law has been so kind and helpful; and my two little nieces and nephew have been such rays of sunshine in our cloudy moments. The difficulty is that my brother (their Dad) is active military and remains stationed in Washington. What a man! Maybe it's because he's served overseas before, but I am still in awe of his sacrifice (it's a long shot but we've requested a transfer to Hill AFB). We are praying for you every night JJ. I've always looked up to you, and not just because you're the tallest brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment