Marshall's music, t-cells, t-shirts and more

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Remember, Remember, Remember

Early last week I had the opportunity to talk to Cheryl Colleluori, the President and CEO of the HEADstrong Foundation. She is also the mother of Nick Colleluori, a cancer warrior who devoted his final days to something bigger than himself. It is because of his desire to serve and his wonderful family that carried out his dying wish to create Headstrong, that we have a place to stay while I'm being treated in Philadelphia.


As I spoke with her last week I shared my gratitude, and let her know that I had been thinking about the sacrifice their family has made. I explained that it must be challenging to be reminded of her son's death every day. That I had lost a brother to suicide, and that even though the circumstances are not comparable, the heart ache from the loss of a loved one never really goes away.

I admitted that I almost felt guilty that I have days in which I become so distracted with my day to day activities that I don't really think about it. The thing is, the Colleluori family doesn't have that "luxury", they are surrounded by their son's legacy every day, and I'm sure that there are times when it is difficult. I told Cheryl that I admire her for that.

As I reflected back upon our conversation later in the week, I was reminded of another parent who lost a dearly beloved child. 

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." St John 3:16

'Carry your World' by Landon Cooper
It reminded me that I lost another brother, even Jesus Christ. He died on the cross and overcame death by the power of the resurrection that we too may share in this wonderful gift. It reminded me that when I was baptized I made a covenant to always remember Him and keep His commandments. 

Accordingly, in a poignant parallel,as the Colleluori's remember their son and brother every day, even when it's hard, even when it hurts - they remember and turn it into something beautiful and benevolent; I to will strive to remember every day, my brother, my Savior, my God, and turn sin into sanctification, suffering into serenity, and great worry into good works.

No comments:

Post a Comment